Week01~Week10/25.09.2024~27.11.2024
Yap Guang You/0363730
Advanced
Typography/Bachelor of Design(Hons)in Creative Media
Task 2 Key Artwork
& Collateral
Instruction
Module Information Booklet
Content
Lecture
Week 05
The lecture covered how contrast, form, and organization play key roles in
guiding the reader’s eye. Using contrast effectively—through size, weight,
color, and other visual elements—helps highlight important information, like
making headers larger or using bold for emphasis. Form is about creating a
cohesive look and feel, which makes typography visually engaging and
memorable. It also explored Gestalt principles like similarity, proximity, and
closure, which explain how we perceive groups of elements naturally. These
principles help create an organized, intuitive design by leveraging how our
brains prefer order and balance. This will help a lot during this project.
Key Artwork
Introduction
A key artwork is a unique mark that captures an artist's identity, acting like
a signature. It makes their work instantly recognizable. In this section,
we’ll create our own key artwork using our name, pet name, or a favorite
letter, showcasing our personal style and creativity.
|
Example of Key Artwork
|
Identify keywords
First I need to identify my own keywords to create a fundamental understanding
of what I am going to design, so I look to the past student blogger and see
how they proceed their move. I decided to start with the style I like and the
things I like, and what I think can represent me. So I roughly write out the
things and style I like such as, pixel art, minimalist, cat, music, football,
and etc. Also I think about what the unique point on my own such as I wear
glasses, I play piano and where I from, and etc.
|
| Mindmap |
|
Rough idea
|
Sketches
First I do research about some logo design, and study about the elements I
like, like cat, pixel art, and vintage poster, and etc. Then I starting to
drawing out all the draft sketch to see how to blend these elements with my
design idea, I selected few sketches to proceed the digitalize step, then I
will choose few of them to continue the following progression.
|
Some references
|
|
Digital Sketches
|
After looking at my sketches, I decided to go deeper with sketch
no.1, no.2, no.4, no.5 and no.6. So I dive into research and study,
trying to explore more possibility based on these design, and looking for
where to improve the design make them even more represent myself and
aesthetic.
Creating Key Art Work
|
No.2 Sketch_Attempt 1
|
I try an attempt on the no. 2 sketch, I think it looks cute, but letter
was too regular, and I think is hard to make it special and really useful, so
I abandon this idea and decided to work with the no. 1 sketches idea,
which is a little bit minimalist style on it.
|
Attempt Combination 1_Sketch no. 1
|
|
Attempt Combination 2_Sketch no. 1
|
I decided to dive in deeper to explore possibility about the the
no. 1 sketch. The key work is harmony, chill and peace, so I try to
keep it simple, it looks like a badge or a paper clip for me, I also blend the
element from the other idea. But during the progress, the feedback said that
it was unreadable, so I work with sketch no. 5 which is the idea that
trying to represent piano.
|
Adjustment evolution_Sketch no.5
|
|
Attempt combination 1_Sketch no.5
|
|
Color palette
|
First I adjust the size of the letter according to the feedback, the "h", "A"
and "y". After adjusting the letter, I trying to fix the top of the letter "A"
to let it become more harmony in among the design, then I adjust the gap
between the letter and the stroke and increase the stroke size ensure they are
all at the same size. Then I make some decoration such as, adjusting corner
radius, and I also make some try with applying colors.
After looking at the references and reflect to what style and vibe I
want to show with my work mark. I make some adjustment on the color palette.
|
Color palette 02
|
|
Finalize Combination
|
Last of the part A, we need to create an gif using our work mark. I decided to
creating like a piano key bouncing, cause the word mark was inspiration on it.
Arter using Illustrator & Photoshop to create the gif, I use
Adobe Premiere to speed up the animation, cause it too slow for the
first few attempt.
|
Animated work mark
|
Collateral
In the next part we need to apply our work mark on some product like t-sh9irt,
pin or bags, and we need to create an Instagram page containing with these
product image with work mark and some graphic design element that related to
the theme of the work mark or the style we want. So I find some plate t-shirt
image on pinterest and also some emty bag image, then I use photoshop to edit
the image.
|
|
Edited product image
|
|
After finishing the product, I started work on the graphic elements, I decided
to create 3, then after I will lay them out on the ig page.
|
Graphic picture
|
|
Instagram page capture
|
Final Submission
Task 2A_Key art work
|
Final submission_Color palette
|
|
Final submission_With dark background
|
|
Final submission_With light background
|
|
Final submission_With white background
|
|
Final submission_With black background
|
Final submission_Combination Pdf.
Task 2B_Collateral
After some adjustment I decided to submit the work mark and the Instagram
page.
|
Final Collateral_Tote Bag
|
|
Final Collateral_T-Shirt
|
|
Final Collateral_Phone Case
|
|
Instagram page screengrab
|
Animated Workmark_Gif
Final Submission Collateral
Feedback & Reflection
Week 05
For my first design sketches, if I want to create minimalist feelings for the
design, then I need to make sure the text design I was trying to do is
minimalist, the sketches doesn't show much minimalist feelings. Try to explore
more possibility, and expand the design based on our own existed sketches, do
more research and study about the keywords we have define or what we are
trying to represent in our work mark.Advice given by Mr. Vinod.
Personal thinking: Looking at my own design, I think some of is are
good, so I am trying to expand them differently, and trying to explore more
design about minimalist design. I still think that there are way more to
explore, maybe play with the text placing and the text form.
Week 06
For the first attempt, it's hard to read, have been told to continue the
progress with the other idea. Then the piano idea was works, but need to aware
of the size and the gap between the stroke, for the primary color, need one
nurture colors, just pick one among the original color and turn it into
nurture. Then the size need to reduce on the top and bottom of the letter, the
"h" and the "y"Advise given by Mr. Vinod
Personal thinking: Looking to my exploration about the first idea(the
minimalist), I really like it and I think it looking good, but it was
unreadable. So I move on with the piano idea, trying to apply some design from
the minimalist idea to the piano idea, I think that the "A" was nice, but it
looks weird when it was with the other letter, I will do the adjust.
Reflection
Experience
I think this two-part assignment really tested my ability to allocate time and
energy effectively. I feel that I spent too much time and effort on Part A,
which left me with little time to work on Part B. However, Part B was indeed
quite interesting; thinking about how to design my own webpage was a pretty
good experience. Overall, I’m fairly satisfied with my performance—at least I
managed to complete it.
Odservatin
I observed that coming up with a strong and cohesive brand concept is really
hard and time-consuming. The initial phase of exploring ideas is crucial, but
if it takes too long, it can throw off the entire project timeline. Trying to
create a versatile design that can be broken down into basic shapes for
different uses added another layer of difficulty. I realised that while it's
important to thoroughly explore ideas, it’s also necessary to set time limits
to avoid wasting too much time and getting stuck.
Findings
This assignment made me realize the importance of setting phased tasks, as it
helps make the entire workflow smoother and significantly improves efficiency.
These phased tasks can be adjusted as needed, providing some pressure without
causing anxiety about deadlines. Instead, this pressure feels more like a
source of motivation.
No comments:
Post a Comment