Tuesday, 24 September 2024

Advance Typography: Task 3 Type Exploration & Application



Week01~Week13/25.09.2024~27.12.2024
Yap Guang You/0363730
Advanced Typography/Bachelor of Design(Hons)in Creative Media
Task 3 Type Exploration & Application


Instruction

Module Information Booklet

Content

  • Feedback & Reflection


  • Introduction

    The task was to design an original font for specific uses. There are several areas we can explore, like art style, or what aspects of a font do we think need rethinking or experimenting with. Any areas we are interested is allowed to explore.


    Reseasrch and Idea Development

    Research

    I started by exploring my interests in minimalist and sci-fi styles, particularly how font design works in gacha games. I also saw potential to extend my font from Task 2, which was a wordmark I created. This approach offered a solid foundation, saved time, and aligned well with my focus on gacha games and sci-fi aesthetics. In the end, I chose to build on that font, as it fit both my exploration and design goals.

    Figure 2.1 References from Pinterest_01
    Figure 2.2 References from Pinterest_02
    Figure 2.3 How I imagine the font being used_01
    Figure 2.4 How I image the font being used_02

    Idea Development and Proposal

    After deciding on my project directoin and conductiong research, I started with rough trials, creating key letters to test how the font from Task 2 could work as full font family.

    Figure 2.5 Rough sketches
    Figure 2.6 Rough digital trial

    After brainstorming and digital trials, I compiled everything, references, inspirations, and ideas into a proposal slide to present to my lecturer. This step was essential in the early phase of the task, ensuring my idea could be reviewed and approved, and also can get feedback from the conductor, and maybe find more direction while the class.

    Proposal Slide


    Font Design

    Rough attempt

    It's time to create the full font family. With a clear gguideline, I'll start with uppercase letters, followed by lowercase, and finally punctuation and numbers.I used Photoshop for the rough attempt since I'm more familliar with the software, making it a time saver. I started by creatng rough drafts for the uppercase and lowercase letters.

    Figure 3.1 Uppercase attempt 1
    Figure 3.2 Uppercase attempt 2
    Figure 3.3 Lowercase attempt 1

    After receiving feedback, Inoticed the strokes were inconsistent, so I switched to Illustrator. Using the line and rough tools, I experimented with dashes to ensure the lines were consistent while keeping the design close to my original concept.

    Figure 3.4 Progression 1

    Once I was satisfied with the outcome, I moved on to designing the numbers and puctuation.

    Figure 3.5 Progression 2

    Next, I used FontForge to generate the font, then worked on kerning and made final adjustment and touch-ups

    Figure 3.6 Progression 3
    Figure 3.7 Progression 4

    Later, I create some more punctuation and some adjustment, then do the kerning and touchup.

    Figure 3.8 Progression 5

    Figure 3.9 Lowercase
    Figure 3.10 Uppercase
    Figure 3.11 Number & Punctuation

    Font presentation

    Next we need to create some mock up to showcase how our font uses in different situation, I find some image of t-shirt and poster, hope to show as versetile as much that my font can uses.

    Figure 4 Wallpaper
    Figure 4.1 Wallpaper
    Figure 4.2 Hoodie 1
    Figure 4.3 Billboard
    Figure 4.4 Bag
    Figure 4.5 Jersey

    I decided to make some adjustment on my font application, creating collateral series for an event, using the colors palette in Task 2.

    Figure 4.6 Hoodie 2
    Figure 4.7 Poster
    Figure 4.8 Gadets
    Figure 4.9 Tote Bag
    Figure 4.10 Lunch Box

    Final Submission

    Font Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19Mee78hI-5IlCvah2iYD1XYS0RhgfJWy/view?usp=drive_link
    Test Here

    Final Submission: Font Presentation

    Figure 5.1.1 Font Presentation 1
    Figure 5.1.2 Font Presentation 2
    Figure 5.1.3 Font Presentation 3
    Figure 5.1.4 Font Presentation 4
    Figure 5.1.5 Font Presentation 5

    Figure 5.1.6 Font Presentation Combination_Pdf

    Font Application

    Figure 5.2.1 Font Application 1
    Figure 5.2.2 Font Application 2
    Figure 5.2.3 Font Application 3
    Figure 5.2.4 Font Application 4
    Figure 5.2.5 Font Application 5

    Figure 5.2.6 Font Application Combination_Pdf


    Feedback & Reflection

    Week 09

    General feedback:Remember always reflact to our purpose of creating the typefacewhile we are designing our font.Specific feedback: Idea is okay, try to explore more possibilityof the extention of the original font created from Task 2.

    Week 10

    General Feedback:The canvas of the size should be following the instruction,place your uppercase beside you when you are designingyour lowercase so you can always make sure the stroke are the same.

    Experience

    In Task 3, I felt the pressure right from the start because of the tight deadline.Finding ideas taking too long, I decided to pivot and finish a minimalist typeface I had begun in Task 2. I quickly digitized the rest of the letters, used a grid for consistency, refined the design based on the feedback, and named it "Yuufont." Then, I played around with layout options and applied the font to different design elements.

    Observation

    The tight deadline made the project a sprint. While feedback was crucial, making on-the-fly changes was challenging. Sticking to a grid layout ensured consistency, but I had to adapt when my initial idea didn't work. Shifting from a detailed Halloween theme to a minimalist design helped me focus. Planning and testing mockups were essential, especially for the font used in event posters and merchandise.

    Findings

    The tight deadline underscored the need for design flexibility. While consistency and readability are vital in typeface design, working under pressure was challenging. However, careful planning and testing resulted in a refined product. Experimenting with styles enhanced the font's appeal, and real-life use showcased its versatility, emphasizing the importance of planning, feedback, and adaptability in the design process.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Major Project 2/0363730 Yap Guang You

    Major Project 2/Entertainment Design Ling & Niko: Life as a Monster Cleaner Bachelor of Design(Honous)in Creative Media Yap Guang Yo...