Tuesday, 24 September 2024

Advanced Typography: Task 1 Exercises

Week01~Week04/25.09.2024~25.04.2024
Yap Guang You/0363730
Advanced Typography/Bachelor of Design(Hons)in Creative Media
Task 1 Exercises


Instruction & Content

Module Information Booklet

Content


Lecture

Week 01

First week, we learn some basic about typographic system, there several type of system in typographic. Axial is the text align according the axial line. Then Grid is the most general uses system for multiple area like books, newspaper or poster. Modular is separate those information in to different units. We also explore some of the others existing system such as Radial, Dilatational, Random, and etc.

Example of Dilatational system

Week 02

The lecture is about design composition principles. We covered key ideas like Emphasis for highlighting important elements, Isolation to make things stand out, and Repetition to create consistency. Symmetry and Asymmetry help balance designs, while Alignment keeps everything organized and Perspective adds depth. The lecture mentioned the Rule of Thirds, which divides space into thirds for placing focal points. In typography, the Grid System is the most common layout method, rooted in letterpress style and popular in Swiss design. We also talked about the Environmental Grid for combining existing structures and Form and Movement for creating flow with grid systems.

Example of composition in typography

Week 03

The lecture is about Context & Creativity, and it had some interesting points. It started off with handwriting, noting that the first mechanically produced letterforms were designed to mimic handwritten styles. The shape of these letters is influenced by the tools and materials used, which is pretty cool. There were also some visuals showing the evolution of various scripts, like the Latin alphabet, Middle Eastern scripts, Chinese script, and the Brahmi script. Each of these has its own unique journey! The lecture touched on programmers and type design, specifically the concept of multiscript, which blends Latin letters with vernacular ones. This really highlights the importance of combining different writing systems. Finally, it emphasized that designers should look at their own histories and cultural backgrounds to inspire their work.

Evolution of Chinese letter

Week 04

The lecture is about designing type, and it offered some great insights. The discussion centered on two key reasons for designing typefaces: the social responsibility to enhance legibility and the artistic expression involved. We looked at various well-known typefaces, including one made for French airports that prioritizes clarity, another designed for digital screens to perform well in small sizes, and one intended for bold signage on the London Underground. The lecture covered the type design process, which involves research, sketching, digitization, testing, and deployment. Understanding type history and defining the type's purpose are essential in the research phase. Sketching can be done traditionally or digitally, each with its benefits. Tools like FontLab and Glyphs are commonly used for digitization, focusing on readability. Testing is crucial for refining designs, and deployment often uncovers minor issues. We also discussed typeface construction, emphasizing the importance of grids, visual spacing, and character grouping. Lastly, we touched on intrinsic and extrinsic motivations in type design, highlighting the need for designers to understand their goals and the context of their work.

Example of Text Degisn

Exercise 1-Typographic System

Introduction

In this exercise, we need to explore about those 8 typographic system, which is Axial, Grid, Bilateral, and etc. Based on our exploration and understanding about these systems, we need to create an artwork for each systems.

Requirement--Each artwork need to be explore as 300dpi and 200mm*200mm. One additional color beside black and white are allowed. 

Progression Sketches

I jump into the progress by researching each typographic system, then created a series of sketches to visualize the layout. This helps me preview how each system would look and decided the best way to place text for clear, effective communication with readers.

Sketches_1
Sketches_2
Sketches_3

Here are some of my sketches

Digital attempt

After selecting a few sketched, I start turning them into digital by using Adobe InDesign, I use a lot of grid and ruler tools to help me make sure it was tidy and make sense. I making sure my design was minimal and the text was clear.


Layout 1_Attempt 1_Axial

This is the first attept of my axial typosystem, I uses around 4 line as my axial, and lay the text out with the left and right, up and down of the axial lines. The text I am using is Janson and Aodbe Caslon. I think it is a bit lack of contrast and can't really chatch the eyes of the reader, so I decided to add some colors in my next attempt with this design.

Layout 1_Attempt 2_Axial

In the second attempt in this layout, I change the colors, by using red on the date and a few characters in the text to adding contrast in my design.

Layout 2_Attempt 1_Axial

This is first attempt for the second layout of axial system, using a diagonally aixial and play with the black and white text and path, to let the tittle standout using contrast of the balck back and white text.

Layout 2_Attempt 2_Axial

The second attempt, I use yellow colors for the text in the black path, but I think the size for the text is a bit smaller then the previous one. So I think keeping the size in the previous attempt and make some minor adjustment for the alignment might be works. 

 

Layout 1_Attempt 1_Modular

This is the first layout for my modulation system, grouping the information them placing them like a box, I am considering adding some differences in the title at the middle to make it more eye chatching.

Layout 1_Attempt 2_Modular

I adjust the size and type for the text and use color in my title, in the second attempt.

Layout 2_Attempt 1_Modular

Second layout of the modular system, putting the time in the middle cause both section are sharing the same timetable.

Layout 2_Attempt 2_Modular

Playing with colors in this attempt.

Layout 1_Attempt 1_Bileteral

My first try for bileteral system, a bit similar with the layout I used in the modular design, so I make some chages on the graphic.

Layout 1_Attempt 2_Bileteral

Adding colors to let the text become more interesting and catch the attention from the readers.

Layout 2_Attempt 1_Bileteral

The previous layout of the biletreal system is too similar witht the modular one, so I decided to come out another design, using the different of the graphic and composition, trying to create some contrast in this design.

Layout 2_Attempt 2_Bileteral

Adding color and some adjust.

Attempt 1_Radial

The first try of radial system, place all the information like the are pointing to the title, so that the readers can connect the content together.

Attempt 2_Radial

Make adjust and adding colors to let the text not seeing too flat in the balck and with background.

Attempt 1_Dilatational

The first attempt of dilatational system, palying with the colors and let the words laying out curly to avoid to much of roundness of the layout, to ensure the readers can read the text nice and easily. But after the feedback, I think it looks like transitional instead of dilatational for me, so I was going to create a new design for this system.

Attempt 2_Dilatational

In this attempt, I use a classic round design to layout the text, adding colors on key information, so the readers still can read it.

Attempt 1_Random

First try for the random system, I am still considering how should I play with this system, the outcome seem not that random for me, so I decided to recreate another.

Attempt 2_Random

This attempt I think is random enough for me, also I think the reader still can understand the message I am sending.

Attempt 1_Transitional

The transitional design, I my concept is creating wavy text, but I reduce the wavyness in the deisgn, cause I found that is kinda hard to understand what the message that this design trying to bring out if it was too wavy througout this composition.

Attempt 2_Transitional

Using colors and graphic to not let the design looks too similar with my other works, but I still trying to keep my concept of all my design in this exercise which is minimalis, and also not adding too much of graphic and colors to distract the reader understanding the text.


Exercise 2-Type & Play

Introduction

This exercise has two parts. First, we find a natural or human-made texture that contains shapes resembling letters, extract those, and turn them into readable characters. The second part involves combining the text with a background image to create a 1024px by 1024px poster, blending the letters with the visual theme. 

Type & Play Part 1

 I found some interesting texture in Pinterest.

References_1
References_2
References_3
References_4

I choose 4 references image among the image I have choosen, and I decided to works on the no.2 and no.3, then I put it in Adobe Illustrater to proceed the image tracing and character analyzing phrase.

Image tracing_left no.3 right no.2

After tracing out the image, I decided to keep on working on image no.2 cause I can't really indentify too much character in image no.3.

Character indentify_G
Character indentify_A
Character indentify_h
Character indentify_i
Character indentify_L
Character indentify_M
Character indentify_U
Character indentify_Combination

I found some interesting character in this image which is G, A, h, i, L, M and U.I lay them out to see the the similarity among their characterize, then I decided to keep making my progress with the letter G, A, h, i and U because I think the outcome will be fun.

Transforming_G
Transforming_A
Transforming_h
Transforming_i
Transforming_U
Combination with guide
Combination without guide

The font Gill sans was used as a guide, I first adjust these letter I found to make sure their size are fit with the guide line following the axial, bottom and the top. Then I adjust their form to let them more nearly can see as a letter. Then I clear the sharpnees, to have a smoother looks, then refining the details and the form, trying to let them more like a letter without loosing their nature unique form.Then proceed fixing the pixel to have a smoother out line for each text.

Type & Play Part 2

I go Pinterest to find some nature iamge for my poster base, I found some interesting image for this part.

References image_1
References image_2
References image_3

I found image for desert, ocean and forest. I decided to go with image no.3 first, then just considering shouldn't I explore the others two image.

Attempt_1
Attempt_2
Attempt_3
Attempt_4
Attempt_5

Gill sans used as my text, so I placing the text out with different composition, then I started exploring different out comes by adjust thing the opacity, filter and also gradient. I prefer that my text will have some effect like fading while the texture of my based image will shown on the text, like they are hiding in the forest, but I found that is hard to read, then I try to apply some texture and outline for the text to let them have some nature looks while ensure the text are readable. 

After clearifying the requirement, I decided to continue the progress with the letter I found, so seems I found my letters in the sand image, so I will use sand's image as my base to create a movie poster.

References image_4
References image_5

Then I place the needed information for the movie poster, then I play with the blending options and filter.

Attempt 1
Attempt 2

Submission

Before the final submission, make some final adjustment and refinement for my text and artwork

Task 1

Axial_Jpeg
 Modular_Jpeg
Dilatational_Jpeg
Random_Jpeg
Grid_Jpeg
Bilateral_Jpeg
Radial_Jpeg
Transitional_Jpeg

The outcome cobination PDF file

Task 2:Part 1

After making the adjustment according to the feedback, this is the final outcome

Final letter combination_With grid_Jpeg
Final letter combination_Without gird_Jpeg

PDF version

Task 2:Part 2

Here is the final submission after the adjustment.

Final submission_Jpeg

PDF version


Feedback & Reflection

Week 02

This week, we was reminded to stick to the rules of each typographic system and ensure the text alignments guide the reader smoothly. Distorting words too much might confuse the reader, we need to aware about that and make sure we are stick to the the provided typeface family. Advice given by Mr. Vinod.

Looking at my own work, I've noticed a few things. The text is a bit too small, and the titles don't really stand out as much as they should. My attempt at the random system didn't feel really random enough, and using minimal graphics made the design look a bit empty and boring. I also realized the dilatational system came out more like the transitional one, and a few the systems ended up looking too similar overall.

Week 04

The letter need to be consistent and have similarity, the stroke of the bowl of the letter 'G' need to be adjust, is not consistent. make sure that the final outcome of the letter need to be looks like it really come out from the references image we have find. Advice given by Mr.Vinod. 

Looking to my own works, I think the stroke need to be more refine to reduce the inconsistent.For the poster, I think the title need to be more clear.

Experience0

Working on exercises 1 and 2 was a blast! I got to create eight different poster styles and extract letter from an image. Putting everything together was super fun, but I felt limited by how many drafts I did for exercise 1. I think if I had more chances to experiment, my designs would have been even better. For exercise 2, I focused more on how the text looks more clear beside of design creativity. I’m excited to tackle new challenges and improve my creativity as I go along. Overall, I think I am not courage enough to brake the rules in design, it turns out my design looks boring at the start, I sure this will be a big challenges in this whole semester, but I am positive about it.

Observation

Asking question is a crucial and helpful way to improve, don't afraid to make mistake in the class or homework, is a part of the progress, this mindset help me to reduce so much of anxiety, and they really helped me get on track with my exercises. Mr. Vinod’s feedback not only guided my work but also opened my eyes to different perspectives, which made my designs stronger.

Findings

The lecture videos were packed with useful info that tied into our exercises. Keeping the terms and concepts in mind really helped me during the brainstorming phase. It’s cool to see how understanding the context can shape my ideas and help me hit the mark with each project. Beside this, always explore more after the lecture video, I do this and I found that it was very helpful.


Further Reading

I read a book called Computer Typography Basics, and it’s all about making text look clean and easy to read. The primary focus is on ensuring readability through good design choices. It covers important stuff like font categories—serif, sans-serif, and mono-spaced—and dives into font styles and families. I learned about how to identify and select the right fonts based on what you need for your document.

The book really emphasizes spacing techniques, like kerning (adjusting the space between individual letters) and tracking (the overall spacing between letters in a word). It discusses how even small adjustments can significantly impact the overall look of the text. There are practical tips on font sizes and special glyphs, along with examples using popular fonts like Palatino, Adobe Garamond, Helvetica, and Futura to show how different settings can affect readability.It also talks about paragraph alignment options, such as flush left, flush right, and justified text, which can change the feel of your document. Plus, it covers paragraph spacing for subheads and how to handle things like widows and orphans (those pesky single lines at the top or bottom of a page).

Overall, I got the sense that typography is more than just picking a nice font; it’s about ensuring that text is readable and visually appealing. Even little tweaks like paragraph indents and line spacing can make a big difference in how the content flows. The book really highlights how typography is a low-key art form that can elevate your writing and make it look professional!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Major Project 2/0363730 Yap Guang You

Major Project 2/Entertainment Design Ling & Niko: Life as a Monster Cleaner Bachelor of Design(Honous)in Creative Media Yap Guang Yo...