Wednesday, 8 May 2024

Digital Matte Painting

Week01-Week14/25.04.2024-07.08.2024
Yap Guang You/0363730
Bachelor of Design(Hons) in Creative Media/Digital Matte Painting


Content



Instructions

Module Information Booklet


Fundamentals of Matte Painting

Perspective and Composition Study

We study the composition and perspective, how they work, and how to apply them in our projects or artworks. We have found some references and blocked it out, landscape and interiors are needed. The basics of a valid point have been told, which means that the point that the object on the painting started disappears or fades out, a painting can have multiple valid points. The camera angle has been told that it was where we set our view, the same image will have a different view in different camera angles. Some base techniques of matte painting have been shown.

Composition and perspective study 1

Composition and perspective study 2

We done some exercise to let us understand and familiar with what is matte painting, we have do value study, sky replacement and etc. I learn that finding references is a important step of learning these skills, also a too complex references might let you get confuse, so I was trying to keep it simple. 

 

Practice


Invisible Set Extension

We need to create a scene with a background story.

'Students will synthesise the knowledge gained in task 1 anddemonstrate ability to explore and generate 6 sets of matte paintedconcept based on chosen location via google maps capture.Students are to analyse and implement painting techniques for aperiodic change of time with a theme to create photo realistic shot.Students will start with color bashing and blocking to identifyelements used in consideration of perspective, value, color palette,composition fundamentals etc to obtain believability and realism.Students will conclude by selecting and presenting their outputinterpretation in the instructed format/s.'__Module Information Booklet

Pre-production

We need to come out with a matte painting, daftly, with some details of the background story and concept. Firstly, we need to come out with 3 concepts. My first idea was to make a post-apocalyptic scene or ruins, and I wanted to express as much of a sense of ruin as possible.

I find some references at Artstation and Pinterest, I am trying to make somethings similars with Nier: automata or The Last Of Us.

Artstation_Astero

Artstation_Astero


Artstation_Anton Mikhalenko

Pinterest

Pixiv_Fran

So, I start with my sketch, placing the color block and texture drafty. In my concept this should be a ruin of a city, the character should be looking through the valid point.

Creating Mood board

Then I go do some study about the requirement and theme I was interested, then proceed them into a mood board. I was interest about making cyberpunk city, or a vintage street, then I was also make some study about the dooms theme.


Pre-production Mood Board

Invisible Set Extendtion

Then we need to create three scene for one theme. I first option is to create a cyberpunk city, I was thinking about using some footage of New York or Tokyo. First I rough layout the composition and idea about three different theme. For the dooms theme, I was thinking making a desert scene, but for me it more feels like an adventure in the cowboys words. Then I turn my mind about the vintage street, I decided to make a valley, like a fairy tails, got castle in the valley or a fancy village in the valley. 

Idea Combination 

Then I move on with the cyberpunk theme, and I create three different scene. My narrative about the scene it is the main character arrive the city while it was raining, trying to brings out the negative life of people under the cyberpunk theme which is "High tech low life".

 

The Scences I created 

 


Thematic Matte Painting 

Next we need to choose one among the three scences that we have created and proceed to the animation pharse. I use After effect to proceed the animation. I decided to create a zoom out movement of the camera and with some raining and noise effects, to represent the sci-fi theme.



Final Submission
 
 
Final Submission_Animation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Major Project 2/0363730 Yap Guang You

Major Project 2/Entertainment Design Ling & Niko: Life as a Monster Cleaner Bachelor of Design(Honous)in Creative Media Yap Guang Yo...