Wednesday, 22 May 2024

Character Design

Week01-Week14/25.04.2024-06.08.2024
Yap Guang You/036730
Character Design/Bachelor of Design(Hons) in Creative Media


Instruction


Module Information Booklet

For task one, we need to study the game Genshin Impact, and then design an original character based on our study of the game.

Content


Game Study

Gaming Experience

I used to play Genshin Impact for a while, I think is very fun that explore the world. Hoyoverse really did a great job at creating a world, giving players a feeling of adventure, and letting players enjoy the process. But is just a bit boring to me, because for me I feel like I am doing same things every in a game, so I doesn't enjoy a lot in the exploring, I do like their character and story.

Game World & Character Study

The story of Genshin is held on a place called Tervat, people at there can use the power of elements(can understand it as a special power), and each nation has their own archon based on those elements(understand as a god or mental leader of each nation). Currently, it have 7 elements in Genshin Impact, Anemo, Hydro, Cryo, Dendro, Electro, Geo, Pyro.

Genshin Impact has a lot of fun characters, including those NPC. The dress   of the NPC or character in different nations, we can refer to some cultures in real life, such as Mondstatd we can find their dress similar to the Middle Age Euro knights, the Liyue you can find the dressing similar to traditional Chinese dressing. The Inazuma dressing is similar to the Kimono in Japan. People in Fontaine dress like traditional dressing from France.


Creating Character

Finding References & Character Concept

We need to create our own character for Genshin Impact, including story, character active area, visions, skillset and etc. So I have a few idea come from my mind, but I decided to create a Fontaine character, cause I was more familiar with it seems I have a long time doesn’t play Genshin Impact and my last memory of the game was in Fontaine. I think a detective character was fit in Fontaine, seems it was a western style nation and have a some crime happens in the story, and the character will a 5 stars character.

So I have found some references and studied Fontaine's character in Genshin Impact, finding some similar character that in other media, the character that impress me lately, is Sparkles from Honkai: Star Rails, so I would like to develop a character that have a similar personality with her and add some of my personal senses on it. Then I hope I can create a character that have those gentle and elegantly ambient to fit the environment in Fontaine. 

Concept Development

Concept Development 2

After brainstorming, I have a base idea about it, a 17 years old girl name Agatha, and having a pet around her, living in Fontaine as a detective, a 5 star Anemo character, that was outstanding at making damage, and having a decent support ability. In my concept, she having a playful personality, she will let the crime happens if she thinks it will be fun even she can stop it, and I am trying to creating a chaos character but won’t be a villain, she just have her own rules, and she was a character that have connections with every influence in Fontaine but doesn't belong to any of them. I am trying to build a playful, mysterious and contrast character.

P.S. Seems it's a detective character, I name her Agatha, same as the famous detective novel writer Agatha Christy, and name her pet Poirot, a character from Agatha Christy's book.

Then I started developing sketch to have some slightly details of my character, so I trying to brings out the key feelings of the character, which is mysterious, elegantly, and mobility. It's hard to connect the word elegant with the word mobility, so I do some studied on it, finding some character that have the feelings that I want, and trying to apply it on my sketch, such as Violet Evergarden from the light novel series Violet Evergarden, and Jingliu from Honkai: Star Rails(but she seems like more eastern) and etc. 





I create a few sketches of the idea and explained it in the proposal slide.



Outfits turnaround design and Poses study

Next I did some study on the outfits, I have few ideas at the beginning, so I sketch them out, but they are not really what I want after I did more study about it. I am trying to keep the elegance and agility at the same time.

Rough sketch

After that, I decided to combinate a few of my ideas together, so the final outcome would look like the combination of my ideas, but I shortened the skirt according to the feedback from the supervisor.

Turn around design_Final outfit

After finishing the turnaround design, I start with some sketches of my pose for the character, I am trying to show the confidence of the character through her poses, to represent the main concept of the character, which is everything's under her control or predictions.

Poses idea

But after looking around these poses, I am thinking of creating a prettier and cuter pose for her.

Final poses


Final submission

After finishing the final poses, I started working on the wishing screen and profile and the character card, I used the elements from the game and some background effects to represent the anemo vision of the character and add on the pets to increase the unique of the character.

Final submission link(Google drive folder):https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IsADGbBz5_GqnKENdKt-SWwTOpQsfE_l?usp=drive_link

No comments:

Post a Comment

Major Project 2/0363730 Yap Guang You

Major Project 2/Entertainment Design Ling & Niko: Life as a Monster Cleaner Bachelor of Design(Honous)in Creative Media Yap Guang Yo...