Tuesday, 27 June 2023

Illustrator and Visual Narrative/Project 3-Digital Triptych

Illustrator and Visual Narrative/Bachelor of Design(Hons)in Creative Media
Yap Guang You/0363730
Project 3/Digital Triptych


Digital Triptych
We need to choose a story from https://poestories.com/stories.php then turn them in to 3-act structures. We need to create 3 panels digital triptych illustrating each of the act, the size was 900px*600px
The rules need to follow:
  • Only one story from this website https://poestories.com/stories.php
  • Story from the other website are not allowed
  • Visual are displayed in a series of three
  • Include short non-spoiler text fir each act
The Black Cat-Edgar Allan 
I choose a story name The Black Cat by Edgar Allan released in 1843, it was a horror story. Talking about a unnamed man having a felicity life but he ruined he own life because off alcohol addiction. The starting of the tory show the reader the man have a normal and happiness life, and told us this man love animal and have a lot of pets in his house. But everything changes when he addicted to alcohol, he started can't control his emotion and started harming and kill the animal in his house, the only animal that didn't get hurt is a black name Pluto. But one day, the man mad with Pluto and his hurt Pluto's eyes, their relation ships was destroy and ending in Pluto gets kill and hanged by the man. 

Then, after Pluto died, the man house burn, after the man escape he started sawing the illusion that Pluto hanged on the three beside his house. The man move to a new place and started finding a new cat as same as Pluto to reduce his guilty. He find another black cat in a bar then took it back to his new house. But the man addicted to alcohol again, one day when he try to kill the new cat, his wife trying to stop him, and he kill his wife with an axe and hide her body and the cat in the wall.

The ending for the story is, polis came to his house to search for his wife and they search noting. When the polis decide to go back, the man stop them and start showing of how well was his house build, the polis hear some voice in the wall. They find the body in the wall because the cat are still alive and standing on top of the body. "I kill the demon and make a graveyard for him!" this is the man last word in the story.

Sketch
I do some research before I sketch out my ideas, I will go a bit darker feeling for this story, I turn this story into three section. The first act is talking about the man alcohol addiction and he kill Pluto, the second act is talking about he meet his new cat in the bar, and the last act is talking about the polis find his wife's body in the wall.
Idea Sketches
First I decide to let these three act looks like a tarot cards, but I think it too small a so I decided to add it after I finish all three acts.

Illustrator-Digital Triptych
After sketching, I started to do my work with Illustrator, I will go act by act. I use a lot off shapes tools and pen tools, and also some line tools to support. I try to let it to be simple to make the act can be explore the story straight.

Progression ACT 1
Progression ACT 2-1
Progression ACT 2-2
Progression ACT 2-3
Progression ACT 3-1
Progression ACT 3-2
After laying out the out lines, I decided to continue to the colouring section. So go online and find some colour reference and tutorial.
Progression ACT 1-2
Progression ACT 1-3
Progression ACT 2-4
Progression ACT 3-3
After finish colouring, I decide to add some text in each act, I would like to add some text like American Comics. So I choose Bradley Hand ITC Regular for the text and make it white colour.
Progression Text
After adding texts, I do some minor changing, I adjust some strokes and colour.
Progression Minor Adjustment 


Final Submission
ACT 1-Final Submission
ACT 2-Final Submission
ACT 3-Final Submission
Out line view-Final Submission
Three ACT Together-Final Submission

No comments:

Post a Comment

Major Project 2/0363730 Yap Guang You

Major Project 2/Entertainment Design Ling & Niko: Life as a Monster Cleaner Bachelor of Design(Honous)in Creative Media Yap Guang Yo...