Week01-Week06/30.08.2023-06.10.2023
0363730/Yap Guang You
Design
Principles/Bachelor of Design(Hons)in Creative Media
Task 1:Exercise
Lecture
Topic 1/Elements and principles of design, Gestalt Theory and Contrast
In this lecture section, the lecturer introduces elements and principles of
design to us. Elements if the material that build a design, then the principle
of design is the way that how we use these elements. Contrast is the
juxtaposition of strongly dissimilar elements; it can provide visual interest
emphasize a point and express content. Gestalt Theory aim to show how complex
scenes can be reduced to more simple shapes.
Topic 2/Balance and Emphasis
Balance can be symmetrical or asymmetrical, balance refers to the distribution
of visual weight in an artwork. Symmetrical means align the elements equally
on either side of the central axia. Asymmetrical balance is an unequal visual
weight on each side of the composition, one side of the composition might
contain a dominant element, which could be balanced by a couple or more lesser
focal points on the other side. The lecture shows some composition rules to
us, such as pule of thirds and the golden ratio, etc. Emphasis is used to
create dominance and focus on a design work.
Instruction
<iframe
src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DzPFvnAXJKxJUeYMXcv9OfUBXzIK7jPD/preview"
width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>
We need to choose three design principles from the list:
Gestalt theory, balance, contrast, emphasis, repetition, movement, harmony
and unity, symbol, word and image. We need to create one design for each chosen principle. The principles I
chose are contrast, word and image, and balance, which I was interested in and
want to have a try.
Contrast
Visual References
The contrast in art is known as using different or opposite elements to let the
viewer focus their eye on the area we want them to see. Like using colours and
value, texture, shapes and etc. I would like to try on the contrasting
colours.
Visual References/Contrast
(112) Pinterest
References link
|
| Sketches 1 |
The next idea was similar to the first, but with a bit of change in
the background, it became a different of line or pattern to form my
background, I will leave the object white colours, and use black for the
line at the back.
|
| Sketches 2 |
This idea of using colours and tones to finish artwork, I found many fun
artworks online and at my workplace, so I am interested in trying
them.
|
| Sketches 3 |
Progression
I decided to come out with 3 characters for this design, then composite them
like the Image I show.
|
| Progression-1 |
After laying out the composition, I needed to decide what characters
should I draw, I searched some famous trios, and then I decided to draw the
power puff girl, this thought was inspired by a child from my
workplace.
|
| Progression-2 |
I use pencil and colour pencils to work with this design, then I notice that
the composition are not very well, so I change it. I think that I use the
wrong tools to go with, maybe I should use water colours or Photoshop to
done it. It must be very childish and immaturity compare of other people's
designs, so I am kind of regretting the decision, and I am thinking about
starting over again.
I find a image of the character for the reference.
|
| Progression-3 |
|
| Progression-4 |
I use a solid black for the background and place my character in the middle,
but after seeing the outcomes, I thinks that this is not contrast enough.
Then I go through the feedback that given last week, I decided to change the
background to some texture.
|
| Progression-5 |
After the feedback, I made some minor changes to my work.
|
| Progression-6 |
The feedback I got was to reduce the size of the circle at the back and
increase the texture on the background.
|
|
Outcome 1-Contrast
|
After looking at the outcome, I thought that it didn't look very good,
so I tried another idea. The idea I have is to make a 3D cube in the middle
and then use texture took make it look like a sketch like idea #1.
|
| Progression-7 |
I used Illustrator to make the cube, and I decided to continue the colouring
in Photoshop.
|
| Progression-8 |
I draw different kinds of emotion on each side of the cube, and colouring
them with three primary colours with a low solution. But I would like to try
another effect for the background.
|
| Progression-9 |
I uses the colour on the cube for the background, it looks like the cube is
placed in a corner. I have two different versions with a minor change in the
background.
|
| Version 1 |
|
| Version 2 |
|
| Version 3 |
Final Submission
Statement
In my artwork, I explore the complexity of human emotions through the
metaphor of a Rubik's cube. I chose the three primary colours, red, yellow
and blue to represent sadness, happiness and amazement. The choice of a
pure black background with texture serves to enhance the contrast and draw
attention to the cube, also the strategic use of colour contrast on the
cube's faces amplifies the emotional impact and draws viewers into the
artwork. This artwork represents the idea that emotions are diverse and
ever-changing, similar to the cube's various configurations during its
solving process, in the end, it always returns to its original form, so
staying true to our feelings is important told by this artwork.
Final submission/Contrast (Pdf)
|
|
Final submission/Contrast (Jpeg)
|
Word and image
Visual References
Sketch
I only have an idea for this principle, which is to make a poster, I tried
to do this kind of retro poster or book cover in my previous semester
project, but I didn't do it for many reasons, so I really want to try it
once in this exercise.
|
| Sketches 1 |
Progression
I come out with the sketch, I am haven't decided what I should
write for my text, so I just left it Text and Text2.
|
| Progression-1 |
After sketching out, I first just place the basic color without lighting and
others details to look around what will the poster look like overall.
|
| Progression-2 |
|
| Progression-3 |
|
| Progression-4 |
After looking the outcome of the car version, I decided to try with another
character. I find some character that might suit the my idea and easy
to present because I was running out of time. I found some interesting
character on Pinterest, then I think that the character
'Mono' from the Little Nightmare will be a good
choice. So I use Illustrator to create my own 'Mono' .
|
| Progression-5 |
I am finding out the best words for my test, but I still think about it, so
I just simply type the text 'The Paper bag' and 'Journey' so I can have a
clear mindset for the text size and typeface.
|
| Progression-6 |
After the feedback section, I decided to change the font type to looking for
a different feeling compared to my previous font, I switched my font from
Snap ITC to Algerian and Lucida Handwriting. I like the new style of font,
so I decided to keep it till the finalization.
Final Submission
Statement
It's a book cover talking about a story of a journey of a paper bag,
it was a shy and kind paper bag. It steps on the journey by itself to
find the most special gift for itself to celebrate its own birthday. I
try to let it be a bit vintage by using the font type and colour.
Final submission/Word and Image (Pdf)
|
|
Final submission/Word and Image (Jpeg)
|
Balance
Visual References
Sketch
The first idea is something like
Taichi, so I found some references
online, then I thought that the normal
Taichi was just too
boring so I changed it to two cats.
|
| Sketches-1 |
Then the second idea is like self-titled, I separate the things that
make people happy and sad to both side then.
|
| Sketches-2 |
The last idea is the reflection of the chess.
|
| Sketches-3 |
Progression
I try to use Photoshop to create an image looks likes sketching using pen on
a paper.
|
|
Progression-1
|
|
|
Progression-2
|
After looking of the progression, I consider that there are not enough to
express the principle 'Balance' so I make the background into a reflection
of shaded, I think it might look more balanced now.
|
|
Progression-3
|
|
| Progression-4 |
The feedback section said that the artwork represents the principle of
'balance' well. Just need to make the background more clean and tidy, the
background now was a bit messy, so I used a soft round brush to paint my
background again.
|
| Progression-5 |
I found that it very darks for the chess at the previous artwork, so I
decided to make the background represent the black and withe chessboard, so
it can be clear and also stick to the principle 'balance' and the
theme 'chess'.
Final Submission
StatementTo be a king or a soldier, it's a matter of choice.
Like a game of chess, every move has a greater or lesser impact on the
outcome, and so does every decision in life affect your next decision and
its outcome. I try to make the image look like a reflection of two way of
outcome, being a king or being a soldier, and the chessboard in the
background said that life is just a game, it will have a checkmate, but you
can't restart it, so make careful and decisive decisions for your life game,
and don't get checkmate by your fates.
Final submission/Balance (Pdf)
|
|
Final submission/Balance (Jpeg)
|
Reflection
Going through this exercise, I think that finding references is very helpful
during the progression, it helps me to have a clear mindset during the
progression. Still need to improve my familiarity with the tools to explore
more possibilities of my work. Knowing the principles well gave me a good
mindset about how to create artwork. Always refer to the sketch, which helps
me ensure my progress is always on track, some times it might pop out some new
ideas when referring to the sketch, Mr. Vinod once said that always write down
the idea you though, might have a big impact on our work in the future.
Feedback
Week02
When we are using high-contrast colours, black might be a good idea for the
background. Learn how to observe good artworks, if you look at all these good
artworks, balance is everywhere. For the blog, we need to have a good header and
also use the image provided in the lecture slide and make sure the resource for
the reference. The lecturer gave some comments on my idea for contrast, Miss.
Yip like the first idea I have provided, because I draw my own cat. She gave me
some advice, I can draw a comic using the shades and texture to separate the
scenes instead of the traditional boxes in comics.
Week03
Just need to focus on one character for the contrast. The section idea for
balance was nice but it looks like the top is heavy and the bottom is light,
but it will be good if keep on working with the second idea. Remove the box on
the word and image then move the text a bit lower then move the keychains a
bit up will make the image look more tidy and easy to read.
Week04
The circle in the contrast work may be in white or a very very light blue,
then the texture can be more extended.
Week05
The texture in the contrast art can be more extended, reducing the size of
the circle, and the colour of the texture can change to dark blue.
After tidy up the background stroke it can be a finalize for the balance
work.
Week06
The 3rd version of the cube can be finalized as a submission. The font on
the top can switch to the others such as heretical or Arial or just maintain
the font on the top but move it slightly a bit down for the word and image
artwork. A very light grey might work for the background on the balance
artwork or change it into black and white.
No comments:
Post a Comment