Design Principles/Bachelor of Design(Hons)in Creative Media
Task2/Self-Portrait
Contents
Lectures
Topic6/What is a Self-Portrait?
The self-portrait is a self-representation in the form of a drawing, painting, sculpture, etc. It is a visual depiction of the self. This lecture shows us how to use a mind map to be tapping into ourselves as much as we can. A self-portrait artwork represents us, how we see ourselves, and how we explore ourselves.
|
| Self-Portrait example: https://pin.it/1faHPzU |
Instructions
<iframe src="https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DzPFvnAXJKxJUeYMXcv9OfUBXzIK7jPD/preview" width="640" height="480" allow="autoplay"></iframe>
This task required us to make a self-portrait using the various design principles we have learned before.
Idea development
My mind comes empty in the beginning, so I use the mind map and start brainstorming, I decided to have 10 ideas first, then I will cut them in to 3. After a short brainstorming I have few ideas, which is draw a self-portrait in different kind of art style, or making a poster of my self or using a different image to make a collage.
|
| Idea development/Mind map_1 |
Then I start to think about myself, so I also use the mind map and start brainstorming. I am considering like adding something like MBTI or constellation into my artwork, but I have no idea that how to express them, so I give up.
|
| Idea development/Mind map_2 |
Visual Study
After having a few ideas, I started to find some references for me.
|
|
| https://pin.it/5VKm6HX |
This is an art style from a famous artist in history, Picasso.
|
| https://pin.it/1o7yDTi |
Going with collage of my task 2 was also my choice, so I find a few collage artwork online. Then I think this is the artwork that very catches my eyes, I like the using of the red in the collage and also the composition.
|
| https://pin.it/1o7yDTi |
I actually have the same idea as this artwork in the previous task, so if I can try this idea again in task 2, I'm more than happy to try it.
|
| https://pin.it/1wH79ys |
When it comes to self-portraits, I think we must mention Vincent van Gogh.
Sketch
I sketched a few ideas, but I am still very confused about how to express myself in the self-portrait. When I was sketching, I found a new question it seems like I can't really at a specific principle inside my artwork.
|
| Sketches_1 |
The #1 and #2 ideas are something like Picasso-style art. For the #3 idea, I decided to turn it into pixel art or something like the NFT image. Then #4 is something like turning me into a visual character, then what kind of character do I like to be, the sketch is basically a simple rough sketch of the character Nanika from Hunter x Hunter.
|
| Sketches_2 |
The #5 is a combination between idea #4 and idea #2, which is like Picasso-style art with a Nanika face because I think it face is very fun and playful. #6 was I turned one of my random childhood photos into a draw, and #7 is the combination of #4 and #6. Then #8, I would think about turning myself into a character on the music album cover, this inspired by the cover from "The One Last Kiss" by Utada Hikaru.
Visual Reference
|
| https://pin.it/4gyALmD |
|
| https://pin.it/5No0U3E |
|
| https://pin.it/aOUarkh |
Progression
|
| Inspiration 1: https://pin.it/71cYRly |
|
| Inspiration 2: https://pin.it/4AbPz9O |
I decided to go with the #7 idea and try to make pixel art for it. First, I go with the lines.
|
| Progression_1 |
I used Adobe Photoshop for my assignment, after the lines worked, I transferred the line art into a 64px*64px file then I found it the lines looked a bit messed up I changed it into 128px*128px it still did not fix really well, so I redrew the line art again.
|
| Progression_2 |
Then I turned the lines art into 128px*128px again, then it looked well this time, then I colored my artwork with plain color. I decided to have some contrast for my color using.
|
| Progression_3 |
After coloring my artwork, I decided to add some more details to it.
|
| Progression_4 |
Then I went to deal with the background, I decided to use the repetition of the emoji in my background.
|
| Progression_5 |
After getting feedback from Ms. Yip, I made some minor changes to my artwork, which is increase the size of the emoji on the background and changing the color of the emoji on the hair band.
|
| Progression_6 |
Submission
Artwork Title: Emoji
Statement: Everyone has their own thoughts, but in relation to society, is hard to always be ourselves. We have different emotions due to random situations; they might be sincere and maybe not. So, I try to express the usual emotions by using emojis, just seeing them as our mask to face different situations. The core of the artwork is to tell people to face their emotions at the time, knowing that what emotion they are having and make the right decision.
|
|
Submission_Emoji_Jpeg
|
Reflection
I think I still need to improve my familiarity with digital art. During the progression, I don't really use any principles for purpose, need to be cautious about the requirements of the task. I think the coloring skills need to be improved like shading and color used. The drawing must be improved. I think is not enough to try the sketch and the possibility of the portrait combination with different ideas.
Feedback
Week07
Try more expressing ourselves in the task. Trying to explore more at the visual study, deeper, more details/ We can have multiple principles in our work, but having one main focus is better if not the outcomes might be a bit messy.
Week10
Make the emoji on the background or change the color of the emoji on the hair band.






















No comments:
Post a Comment